Legal Office Manager
Starting Date: June 2022
Justice Catalyst Law (“JCL”) is looking for a Legal Office Manager to join our team! The Legal Office Manager will have a dynamic and critical role at JCL, working on various administrative, operations and logistical needs across the organization. The Legal Office Manager will work under the direction of the Legal Director, but will have the opportunity to work closely with every team member and support various projects. The Legal Office Manager will also have the opportunity to help strengthen and build new administrative systems and procedures.
A nonprofit organization founded in 2018, Justice Catalyst Law develops cutting-edge, interdisciplinary impact cases and legal strategies that advance economic and social justice. We specialize in fighting corporate or private actor abuses by applying multiple areas of law to new contexts. We often work in collaboration with a diverse set of nonprofits, advocates, and law firms to develop, investigate, and litigate bold cases with broad, practical, on-the-ground impact. Our mission is to expand the legal system’s potential to provide meaningful accountability for the most powerful, and to bring justice and sustainable change to the communities that are most often left behind by our economic and legal systems, with attention to racial and other longstanding inequities
Many of our cases cut across substantive enforcement areas, such as antitrust, RICO, consumer, environmental, and civil rights laws, to shape novel applications of those laws to real-world problems and economic injustices. For a sample of our cases, please visit catalystlaw.org/issue-areas.
We are a small and highly collaborative team of people who work hard and laugh hard, and welcome new perspectives and ideas. We enjoy a lively start-up culture that encourages spirited debate based on throwing ourselves deeply into the details of a particular problem, and pushing to find a path to a practical and permanent solution. Our team stands together in our shared commitment to using our talents and energy to making a more just and equitable world right now. We have an experimental mindset and encourage unconventional thinking and risk-taking. We value employee relationships, growth, and well-being, and strive to create an equitable, inclusive organization.
Justice Catalyst Law works closely with Justice Catalyst, a nonprofit organization that supports innovative legal work and administers a fellowship program for new attorneys in public interest fields at nonprofits, government agencies, and other offices.
Justice Catalyst Law is tax-exempt as a 501(c)(3) human and civil rights organization.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe that a variety of perspectives and backgrounds enriches and maximizes our work. We aim to assemble an applicant pool that is reflective of the world in which we live — one that is diverse in race, color, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, ethnicity, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, economic background, professional background, mental and physical abilities, and other traits that make us who we are.
We are also an organization made up of lawyers and non-lawyers, and we work alongside, and have great respect for advocates, organizers, and clients from every walk of life. The right person for this role will be committed to listening to and learning from people with different life experiences and expertise.
JCL is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to any status or activity protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage anyone who is interested in this opportunity to apply.
Manager: Legal Director
Location: The Legal Office Manager will be based in the New York City area and will work in our main office in N.Y.C. 3-5 days per week. All JCL staff are also required to travel for our quarterly in-person staff meetings and/or retreats. Other occasional travel may be required.
Schedule: Full-time, non-exempt
- Assist with implementing and overseeing document management and filing system
- Oversee legal billing system, including managing billing software, ensuring team billing records are submitted and up to date, and producing reports as assigned
- File briefs on PACER, prepare and submit court filings, oversee admissions, and ensure compliance with court rules and filing procedures
- Oversee printing, mailing and copying for cases and investigations, including mailing out and tracking retainers, handling serving parties and preparing and serving proof of service
- Preparing, proofreading, and editing legal documents for attorney review, including copyediting, preparing data and tables, preparing redlines, and formatting and editing court documents according to local rules
- Assist legal team with factual research, and with outreach and communication to witnesses
- Manage all legal subscriptions, software, and accounts
- Plan and coordinate virtual and in-person meetings, events, and conferences, including arranging all aspects of travel and accommodations
- Manage office space, including communicating and troubleshooting with building staff, overseeing mail, answering and directing office phone calls and email inquiries, and assisting with office compliance
- Order and track all JCL supplies and equipment
- Manage all general IT systems including all subscriptions, passwords, applications, and software
- Maintain and update JCL and JC websites and social media pages
- Assist staff with technology troubleshooting and act as primary liaison with outsourced IT vendor, assist with updating IT policies, and ensure staff are trained and following IT security policies
- Manage various aspects of onboarding and offboarding of employees
- Other duties as assigned by the leadership team
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Extremely strong self-organization skills and ability to follow up, complete assignments, and meet deadlines with strong self-direction
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to navigate and troubleshoot information technology systems
- Ability to identify administrative gaps and areas for improvement, and propose creative solutions
- Highly motivated and takes initiative
- Bachelor’s Degree plus minimum 2 years full-time experience in an administrative or operations role or high school diploma/GED plus minimum 4 years full-time experience in an administrative or operations role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Facility with editing, formatting, processing, and filing documents, including preparing data and tables
- Ability to navigate computers, websites, software and other information technology with ease, and ability to do basic troubleshooting
- 4+ years full-time experience in an administrative or operations role
- Substantial experience working in a legal setting
- Demonstrated interest in social justice
Compensation and Benefits
Justice Catalyst Law salaries are commensurate with relevant skill and experience, and competitive with the U.S. federal government General Schedule (GS) payscale. Salaries are also adjusted based on locality area in accordance with the U.S. federal GS locality pay adjustments. The entry level annual salary for a JCL Legal Office Manager (located in N.Y.C.) in 2022 is $63,609.00.
Justice Catalyst Law also offers a competitive benefits package, which includes an employer-sponsored medical, dental, and vision plan, a matching 401k plan (up to 4% of base salary), a flexible spending account, professional development opportunities, and a generous vacation policy.
**(Required)** Please submit a resume and brief personal statement to the Legal Office Manager position below:
Your personal statement should address:
- (required) A description of the most challenging assignment or ongoing responsibility that you have had in the workplace and how you handled it; and
- (optional) How you might add diversity, of any kind, to the JCL team.